Wednesday 27 January 2010

French connection


This encounter happened at Jacques Bar in St Denis, Paris one Friday evening in April. I was standing at the bar waiting to be served when a random stranger said. "Your hair is beautiful." Pleased with being complimented I replied. "Thank you, your hair is nice too." (It wasn't all that but there's nothing wrong in being polite, is there?) We both then embark upon a conversation, you know the usual stuff, like why a British born Jamaican of African descent is standing in a bar in Paris speaking to a French man and his Italian friend... nothing too heavy!

Then his friend who had been eyeing me up the whole time tries to touch my hair (if i had a penny...) Anyhow I say "Please don't touch my hair." He then replies, "I was only touching the ends (hmmm!). Just to mix things up a bit I say, "Only my lover is allowed to touch my hair." This he understands and replies, "Ah yes I'm sorry" (note to self must remember to use lover line again). He then puts his hand in his pocket... and pulls out... some weed. Yes weed. And offers it me as an apology for touching my hair. I decline and we end up talking about the French royalists including Louis XVII mysteriously disappearing and his heart being found in the Basilique.

No comments:

Post a Comment